Not all scientific studies are created equally
David Schwartz dissects two types of studies that scientists use, illuminating why you should always approach claims with a critical eye.Key Concepts addressed:
- 1-3 Association is not the same as causation
- 1-7 Beware of conflicting interests
- 2-2 Comparison groups should be similar
- 2-5 People should not know which treatment they get
- 3-2 Are you very different from the people studied?
Every day, we are bombarded by attention grabbing headlines that promise miracle cures to all of our ailments — often backed up by a “scientific study.” But what are these studies, and how do we know if they are reliable? In this 5 minute video David H. Schwartz dissects two types of studies that scientists use, illuminating why you should always approach the claims with a critical eye.